Being Influencers In Our Personal Development
THE SHAKE UP CALL
Every day, we are faced with binary choices, where we must select between option A or B, never fully knowing if the outcome will really be what we desire or anticipate.
When we make a choice, whether it turns out to be for better or for worse, we can at least celebrate the fact that we exercised our power to choose. Many of us often fail to make a decisive choice when it relates to our personal evolution, thereby choosing powerlessness over empowerment. Too often, we embed ourselves in our comfort zone, rock back in our favourite comfy chair, leave life to run its course, and hope for the best while stoically repeating this popular mantra – “life happens”. Today, a single choice is before us: Say yes to the Shake-up Call: Become The Master Of Your Evolution!
THE BIG QUESTION
In accepting the Shake-up Call, we are not only exercising our power to choose:
• We are also making a commitment to be the most powerful influencers in the outcomes that we want our lives to generate
• We are elevating from using hope as our plan of inaction to deploying planning as our readiness and advancement strategy
As such, we must operate from our Circle of Influence by leveraging the things over which we have control – our thoughts, our attitudes, our emotions, our choices, our efforts, our behaviours, and our actions.
In order to activate our power as influencers of our own evolution, we must pop the Big Question as often as we need to – What Is My Plan?
DESIGNING THE PROJECT PLAN
Personal development projects can be placed in several categories, including:
• Financial: Save $20,000.00
• Personal: Loose 20 pounds
• Professional/Career Advancement: Become a professional chef
• Performance Enhancement: Learn to use Zoom Video Communication platform
When designing our project plan, we must consider four basic elements:
• Identification/Definition: What do I want to do?
• Purpose: Why do I want to do it?
• Execution/Tasks: What will I need to do?
• Timeline: How long will it take?
Here is an easy to use template that can get you started in developing a plan to execute your next Big Idea:
It is important for us to monitor and evaluate our progress throughout the project’s life cycle, revising its as needed.
LINKS FOR FURTHER READING
Mind Tools, Personal Development Plan